Remember that review for Earth Balance Coconut Spread I wrote a few days ago?
Get ready for a DELICIOUS recipe I made using it!! :)
I absolutely love pancakes. They are so freaking delicious. And, they can easily be made gluten free- just sub the all purpose flour for brown rice flour!
|Most vegans know the book Skinny Bitch by Kim Barnouin and Rory Freedman.|
I based this recipe on the one from this cookbook, by Kim Barnouin. Great book!
The only sad thing about this recipe is that, as of today, I've decided to go gluten free (or at least, mostly gluten free!). Which means I can't eat this exact recipe unless I change it up as mentioned earlier (use brown rice flour!)
My carnivorous boyfriend liked these pancakes, which means they much be good, right? You can cover them in maple syrup or use the topping I suggest below! Or use both syrup AND the topping, that;s what I did...
|Mixin up the batter....|
|Oh, yum. Golden brown deliciousness.|
Based on Kim Barnouin's Maple and Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
Makes 8 pancakes
1 c. unbleached all purpose flour
3 T. evaporated cane sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. cinnamon
1 c. almond milk
1 t. vanilla
2 T. Earth Balance Coconut Spread, melted
Very SMALL amount of oil for frying
Optional Topping: Combine 2 T. EB Coconut Spread (softened for buttery spread or melted for use instead of syrup) and 1/4 t. cinnamon in a bowl.
1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine milk, vanilla, and melted EB coconut spread.
3. Combine the two mixtures and whisk until batter is smooth.
4. Heat a SMALL amount of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. To do this, you can just lightly wet a napkin with oil and rub on the bottom of the skillet.
5. Using a 1/4 c. measure or a large ice cream scoop, pour batter into heated skillet, making only one pancake at a time.
6. Cook until you see bubles forming on the top of the batter, then carefully flip pancake and cook until the other side is golden brown.
|Stacked high with lots of buttery topping.|
|Earth Balance Coconut Spread mixed with cinnamon. Super simple and delicious! Add some sugar if you want.|