It's that time again for another Vegan MoFo Iron Chef Challenge! I'm super stoked about this one!
The challenge last week was to create a recipe using chickpeas. Lucky for me, I had chickpea flour, and I was able to invent my Curried Chickpea Falafel. This week, my invention turned out even BETTER. The secret ingredients were.....
BANANAS AND COFFEE!!!!
Oh yeah. I love bananas, and I like coffee when it's in baked goods or sweetened with lots of sugar and blended into a frothy, unhealthy drink. Needless to say, coffee was going to be an accent flavor for me.
Because these banana ginger cookies are so soft, they are very cake like. Makes me think of whoopie pies! Yummy!
Ready to dive in?
Banana Whoopie Pies with Coffee Crumble
Ingredients (Banana Ginger Cookies):
1/2 c. Earth Balance
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 T. blackstrap molasses
1 mashed banana
1/2 c. almond milk mixed with 1/2 t. apple cider vinegar
3/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 T. cornstarch
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, beat together Earth Balance and sugars. Add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and vanilla and beat until combined.
3. Add mashed banana, molasses, and almond milk mixture and mix until combined. It will look ugly and clumpy, but trust me, it'll be delicious.
4. In a small bowl, combine all dry ingredients: flours, cornstarch, baking powder, and baking soda.
5. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
6. Spoon tablespoon sized balls of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with about a teaspoon each of the coffee crumble mixture. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool.
Ingredients (Coffee Crumble):
2 T. Earth Balance
1/2 c. quick cooking oats
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. espresso powder
2 T. brown sugar
1/8 t. cinnamon
In a small bowl, mix all ingredients until very small balls are formed and everything is mixed together well. You may want to use your hands for this!
Ingredients (Banana Coconut Icing):
4 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. coconut oil
1 mashed banana
1/2 t. espresso powder
In a large bowl, beat together all ingredients until combined. This is a thick icing so that it doesn't ooze out of the cookies - if you want it thinner, use only 3 cups of powdered sugar.
Whoopie Pie Assembly:
1. Take one cookie and flip it upside down.
2. Place a teaspoon of icing in the middle.
3. Take another cookie and press it on top of the icing.
4. Voila! Cookie whoopie pies!
What is your favorite way to use coffee?