Some things aren't meant to be shared.
I absolutely love s'mores. Everything about them! But unless you make your own graham crackers (which is totally do-able, thanks to Isa Chandra's Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar), vegan graham crackers are hard to find.
Plus, I wanted to make something more original.
How about cupcakes?
These cupcakes are SO moist. Seriously. I was shocked with just how exceptionally good these cupcakes were! They also really resemble a graham cracker in flavor, thanks to the cinnamon and dark brown sugar (for that molasses-y taste). I also used Dandies vegan marshmallows, which are sugary goodness.
Want to try them yet?
Pumpkin S'mores Cupcakes
Ingredients (cake batter):
1 c. almond milk + 1 t. apple cider vinegar, mixed together
1/2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
2 T. cornstarch or Ener-G Egg Replacer
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/3 c. neutral tasting oil
1/2 c. evaporated cane sugar
1/4 c. dark brown sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. cinnamon
Ingredients (chocolate sauce):
2 T. unsweetened chocolate powder
3 T. powdered sugar
4 T. almond milk
Ingredients (pumpkin icing):
4 T. Earth Balance, softened
1 T. pumpkin puree
1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
About 3-5 Dandies marshmallows per cupcake, so 60 marshmallows max
1. In a large bowl, mix together oil, sugars, and vanilla until combined. Add milk mixture and stir.
2. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients (dry ingredients). Add this to the wet mixture in small batches, stirring each time until just incorporated. Don't over mix!
3. Spray a cupcake tray with baking spray and fill each about 3/4 of the way with batter.
4. Bake in a 350 degrees oven for approximately 20-25 minutes, until just golden brown. Allow to cool.
5. After cool, slice cupcakes in half through the middle, so the top and the bottom are separate.
6. Spread chocolate sauce on the bottom.
7. Place toasted marshmallows on top of chocolate sauce.
8. Place top of cupcake on top of marshmallows.
9. Pipe pumpkin icing on top and enjoy!!
Directions (chocolate sauce):
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl until combined.
Directions (pumpkin icing):
1. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and pumpkin, and pie spice.
2. Beat until the icing until it is light and airy. It should turn a light orange color.
Directions (toasting marshmallows):
1. Place marshmallows in a single layer on a cookie tray and place under the broiler just for 30 seconds to a minute, until the marshmallows are lightly toasted and a golden brown.
Trust me, after you try one of these... you'll want to eat the entire batch! They are SO good!!!
(P.S. - have you entered my Manna Bread giveaway yet?!)
(What about my Fair-Trade Chocolate giveaway?! - IT ENDS TODAY!)
What is your favorite kind of cupcake?